Monday, April 4, 2011

The Great Aunt Eve

Happy Birthday Aunt Eve...

I say "The Great" because not only was she my great aunt, but she was a great woman. And she was full of great quotes.

She was there through all my dating disasters... One saying I loved, "Let them go, they'll either prove themselves or hang." She was definitely my favorite person to talk to and vent to. She was always open minded and liked thinking about things in new ways. She was always reading philosophical and psychological books and learning about why we are the way we are.

She loved when I played guitar and sang, and she was forgiving.

I'm so glad that Luke got to meet Aunt Eve. Sometimes I forget she is gone and I think about all the things I want to tell her about what's going on in life. I get fleeting thoughts like, "Oh Aunt Eve's going to love the name we choose for our baby!" and I get so disappointed I can't share important moments with her.

It's really not everyday I meet someone who is capable of leaving such a positive impression on me. She's moved me in many ways, I miss her incredibly.

I found this post from September 2007, and I thought since nothings changed in all these years, I'd repost it to celebrate her amazingness.

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years" -Abraham Lincoln

Oh honest Abe, maybe not even as wise as my Grandma Carey's 9th sibling Aunt EVe. She is 88 years old now. She is the most wonderful person that I know and the way she expresses knowledge is indescribable. Her open mindedness and fun approach to life makes her an island of peace in my mind's stormy waters.

We talked about living life to its fullest, about cancer, about life and death, love, friendships... all things we talk about on a regular basis yet never seem to run out of new topics within these.


Here's a picture of Aunt Eve feeding me when I was a baby in my giant diaper. I look about Olive's age. <3


1 comment:

  1. You said it all. Yes, she was one unique and amazing lady and I am so happy you got to spend so much special time with her. Memories are Forever.

    ReplyDelete